Decedent Account Guide
We understand this is a difficult and overwhelming time for you and your family. We've created this guide to help simplify the account settlement process and help you work through the steps.
We've also provided some information for various scenarios (e.g., beneficiary (POD) accounts, estate accounts, probate, etc.), how each is handled and what documentation will be needed. A list of frequently asked questions is included as well. Please contact us when you're ready - we're here to help.
Once you've contacted us, you will be working with a small group of staff members who are specially trained to help you through the process. They will review the affected accounts, determine next steps and keep you updated on the documentation and information we may need from you. Below is a list of contact information:
Accounts with no loans
Accounts with loans (including Visa cards and lines of credit)
If you are uncertain about what accounts are involved, you can also call our Contact Center and they will be happy to connect you with the correct department.
It will be helpful to have the following items when contacting us for account settlement:
- Certified copy of the death certificate (required)
- Photo I.D. (required)
- Decedent's WSECU account numbers
- Any applicable court papers; e.g., appointment of executor or representative, letters of testamentary, etc.
- For details on who can access a decedent account, how settlement is handled on various types of accounts and how loans are handled along with other account information that may be helpful, click here.
- For general information and a list of definitions, click here.
- For an informational overview of the duties of an Executor and a checklist, click here.
- To see the full Decedent Account Guide, click here.
Washington State Department of Heath
(Certified copies of death certificates)
Washington State Courts
Social Security Administration
Department of Veterans Affairs
(Survivor, beneficiary and burial benefits)
Washington State Dept. of Veterans Affairs
Internal Revenue Service
(Obtain an EIN/tax assistance)